User NamePassword

Forgot Password?
contact company guard
Product and Services: (855) 685-3513
Online Support: (866) 328-6724

What types of licenses, permits and tax registrations does a business commonly need?

Many types of licensing, permit, and tax registrations may be imposed on a business. Here are common licensing requirements:

  • Basic business operation license. A license from the city or county in which your business operates.
  • Home occupation permit. A permit that may be required if you business is based out of your home. If you operate a business out of your home, you should also be aware of zoning requirements. Some zoning laws prohibit conducting business activity in residential areas.
  • Zoning and land use permits. Certain types of business may be prohibited by local zoning laws.
  • Sign permit. A permit used to govern the appearance and/or location of a business sign.
  • Building permit. You will need to get a building permit for building or remodeling commercial space.
  • Health department permit. A permit is required if your business involves the prepration and/or sale of food.
  • Sales tax license/sellers permit/resellers permit. A permit required for the selling of products and services.
  • Fire and police department permits. A permit is needed if your business will be servicing a large number of customers (i.e. nightclubs and bars).
  • Alarm permits. A permit required if your business has monitored alarm system.
  • Special state-issued business licenses or permits. Permits required for the sale of: liquor, lottery tickets, gasoline, and firearms.
  • Special state-issued occupational licenses. Permits required when offering state-regulated services such as: medical care, auto repair, real estate sales, tax services, insurance sales, cosmetology, and legal representation (attorneys).Occupational training may also be required for professions such as: doctors, lawyers, accountants, barbers, and real estate agents and require licensing.
  • Federal licenses. Required only for businesses regulated by a federal agency, such as the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.